Friday, June 10, 2011

Transplant Complete

Last night at 9:10 PM, I was given my third chance at life.  The transfusion took about 30 minutes and I held Missy's hand the whole time.  I felt too crappy and was too tired to cry, but I probably would have if I could.  Everyone said it would be an anti-climatic moment, but I didn't think so.  As a family we have been dealing with this disease and all that comes with it since January.  My family, friends, coworkers and people I don't even know have been praying for me and sending positive thoughts my way throughout.  The raw emotions, heavy thinking, and anxious waiting for results are certainly not over, but last night that stem cell transplant was the lunge of faith for a solid handhold in my climb back to normal life.  We won't know for a couple of weeks how solid that hold is.   So we will go right back to praying, hoping and fighting, but now we are getting somewhere.  If this works I'm cured.  If not, well I guess we start over, but at least we are actively moving forward now.

Today I am still really nauseated, and fatigued, but feeling positive.   The doctors seem to be very satisfied with how everything is going.  As I said we will be watching things very closely over the next couple of weeks to see how well the new stem cells are becoming engrafted in my system, and if there seems to be any resistance.  We will also be watching for any signs of infection.  For my part I'll be trying to force myself to eat and and exercise in some capacity.  But right now I'm going back to sleep.

7 comments:

  1. So glad it went well and that Missy was able to be with you. Must have been good for both of you. We will continue to hope, pray, send our best wishes for you each and every day. XOXO
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are braver than you know, Doug.
    Stronger than you can possibly imagine...
    and loved by your family and friends more than
    words can tell. I love you, Linda
    When we get through this,Doug,
    I'll buy the beer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply amazing Doug, the hard part is over and on the road to recovery. cant wait to read about your blog when.... oh i dont know you can always come up with something great to read about say in about 20 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep strong Doug. This blog that you've kept echo the strength and determination you have in fighting this. My continued thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you talking with an accent now?

    Keep your Fahrvergnügen groovin'!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are my goddamn HERO!!

    Cousin Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kick butt Doug! I hope you, Missy and those cute little buddies of yours are doing well! Miss you! - Laura Huggler :)

    ReplyDelete