Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Fungus Among Us

Today is a big day.  I have two tests to get through.  The first is a bronchoscopy, followed by a bone marrow biopsy.  On Monday I had a CT Scan that showed some very subtle signs of a potential infection in my lungs.  After treating me with broad range IV antibiotics to no avail, the doctors are now thinking the fevers are due to a fungal infection.   I'm imagining mushrooms growing on the inside of my lungs.

So what to do when there's a fungus among us?  Why thread a camera up my nose, down my throat, behind my voice box and into my lungs to have a look around of course.  Then for good measure fill up my lungs with saline solution and aspirate it. 

Immediately after the bronchoscopy they'll flip me over like a fish and do the bone marrow biopsy.   The bone marrow biopsy will tell us if the Nexevar (chemo) is working.  The ideal result would be remission, or under 5% blast cells, though even if I'm down from 64% blast cells, which is where I was after the last biopsy, it will be considered a positive result.   I will post the initial results this afternoon.  Keep your fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. All your mother's cousins (all the "K" people) are routing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doug, Thinking about you and hating to hear about your pain! Sending you prayers and positive thoughts. Lots of love, Brendan, Lori and Carol

    ReplyDelete