Monday, May 16, 2011

A little bit of the old In and Out

It was a perfect throw.  The speed and accuracy of which left me standing motionless in shock for quite some time. Then the reality of what had been hurled at my face began to sink in.  It was warm, and wet and stinky.   It made a sickening noise as it stung my face.  I could hear a shriek of fiendish laughter and the pitter patter of little feet taking off down the hall as Brogan's pee soaked underwear fell from my face to the floor.  Welcome home Daddy!  This was yesterday during my 6 hour stint at home.  A couple hours later I had the chills, and then a 103 fever.


So here I am, back in the hospital.  While I know there is no connection between my face full of pee soaked cotton and the fever, it certainly is not cheering me up here.  The doctors still aren't sure what the cause of these fevers is, so we are playing around with different IV antibiotics.  It's uncertain how long they will keep me this time, based on my poor performance during release yesterday, but I'm hoping to be out in time for Wakefield's show in Burlington on Saturday.  If you're going to be in the Burlington area on Saturday afternoon, check it out.  The show is outside at Red Square from 5-8 PM. The band is called Cat Under the Stars.


So far it does seem that this latest form of chemo is helping.  We will get a much clearer picture on Thursday when I have yet another bone marrow biopsy.  At this point my ass resembles that of a pie thief.   If everything looks good and the doctors feel comfortable moving forward with the transplant I will head down to Dana Farber on June 3rd, to begin preconditioning for transplant.  If things look like they are moving in the right direction, but are not quite at the level we want them, the transplant might get pushed back a bit, so that I can stay on the Nexevar a little longer.  We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Doug - Hang in there. I can't imagine how sick and tired you are of all of these stays and procedures. You have an amazing temperment.... Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, You are amazing. You should note that your blog made me google the word Nexevar, I thought it had to do with some Eastern European transport to a better place. I hope that is exactly what is in store for you however. Meaning a better place, that which every good father and husband deserves, pee soaked undwerwear bliss. It sucks now, but you know you're still making that uphill climb. You're too much of a trooper and you have more to prove, unfortunately this disease seems to know this about you. Keep giving it hell Doug, eventually what seems like a daily monotonous battle will become your victory speech. We love you like crazy and sincerely wish we would be in Burlington this weekend!

    ReplyDelete