Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rock and Roll

I am not emerging from the woods to greet you just yet.  Rather, like mail from a distant post office I am just touching base.  Today is day +66, meaning I am 66 days out from the day I received my stem cells.  I am making progress.  I was able to get out of bed and walk two laps around my room today, sit in a chair for 1/2 an hour, raise my arms over my head 5 times....you get the idea.  Progress is slow, but the doctors feel that I have started to make a recovery.  It is going to be more slow going, but they say I should return all of my normal functions.  I've been dreaming of swimming and lemonade non-stop.  It looks like I will have to wait until next year for those as my stomach and immune system build themselves up.  It seems like a long time, but really I just want to be home with my family and that will come much sooner.

On the upside, I saw my boys this weekend when they came in to visit me on Friday.  It was a great visit.  Watching the boys run around the room and fidget with their mask and gloves is a riot.  For a special treat Brogan brought me the gift of music.  He brought his guitar and his little red pick and spent most of the visit hemming and hawing over when, who and how he would begin the song.  When he finally got the courage the music took over and he ripped off his mask and got one verse out.  The lyrics were, "one, two, three..."  He threw his fist in the air and ran out of the room.  It was straight up rock and roll.  Ethan jumped up and followed Brogan straight out the door so he could get a cookie.

Thank you to everyone who have been so supportive and loving.  It touches me everyday and I can not wait to get out of here and see you all.  That is all I can do for now.

18 comments:

  1. Great news! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Doug, so great to hear from you and that you are finally able to get out of bed and enjoy little things like your awesome boys' talents and silliness. Keep it going buddy - you're doing it! Mary-Kate and Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear your updates. Sending positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been checking your blog every day and praying for some good news. This is the highlight of the weekend for all of us :) Stay strong!!!

    Eileen, Jason, and Luke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara and Craig DedmanAugust 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM

    Oh, Doug! What a great way to start our week - reading YOUR words (no offense, Missy - you did a great job keeping us up to date) and with such good news! We think of you and pray for you every day and when you're ready to drink lemonade, we promise to be first in line to squeeze the lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this and burst into happy tears- sooo glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Doug! It's so good to hear from you, we've missed you. We pray for you (all of you) daily, sometimes hourly, and wait impatiently for your next blog update - I think this is the favorite so far!

    Sending you all our strength and love,

    Allison, Jeff and Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a guy who has voluntarily restricted himself to non-alcoholic beverages, and who has to read, talk and write about them ad nauseum at work, I've been a little negative on the non-alcoholic bevs for several years running. Your posts however have made me realize that they are in fact pretty delicious and not to be taken for granted. Whether it is a lemonade or a frubob (yes, your fruit floating in water dream is a real brand), I look forward to sharing one with you once you get out. Maybe even at Christmas?
    John M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to hear from you Doug. Sounds like you're turning a corner. Hope that things continue to improve. Keep up the good work.

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Doug and Missy. It's Lisa and Mike - your old neighbors from Meadow Wood Lane. Wow, we are so sorry for all of the pain & suffering you have been through. Our hearts go out to you, Missy and your sweet little boys. Sue H. sent us the link to your blog a few weeks back and we've been thinking of you ever since. We are so moved by your courage and fortitude. You are a true inspiration. So happy to read your last update and hope that you remain on your path to wellness. (& lemonade!!) Stay strong, Doug.

    Lisa & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep it up Douglas I pray for you every night!!

    Love,

    Cousin Dave!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness gracious great balls of fire!!
    So happy to hear of the shift.
    God Bless-
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so nice to hear from YOU!! I told my Dad you walked, sat up, and lifted your hands over your head. He said you have to start somewhere. I told you about his 3rd battle with cancer, this last one at 80, he has to do one more round of chemo then they are Florida bound! The plan is Oct 29. So keep your positive attitude, remember their are MANY praying for you, and when you want to do more than the Doc's say you can, ask if you can.
    Your life is so precious and you are loved more than you know by the many friends supporting you and by GOD himself. Keep the Faith.

    Buzzy & Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Douglas!

    66 days is a long time my friend and I am glad to hear your still in good spirits! (I had a comma in that sentence and deleted it because you tought me they were bad...)

    Think of me touching your finger and sending positive vibes across the ocean and country to you.

    Keep up the positive attitude and strong spirit, I look forward to our adventure when we are back up to 100%. You want to go to Tahiti or Alaska? As a single guy, Im thinkin Tahiti:)

    Love from Hawaii,

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Brother! Stay Strong!!!

    I am glad to hear the recovery trail has taken a turn for the better.

    Paula and I check the Blog every day, and we are pulling for you.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG
    LOVE
    A>C>E
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday Doug, we love you and are praying for you!

    Love,
    Mr. & Mrs. B, Allison, Jeff and Delaney, Eileen, Jason and Luke

    Stay strong Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Doug,
    You are always in our thoughts and prayers, as is your family.God Bless. Love, LaVerne & Walt.

    ReplyDelete